Haka Workshop with Amelia Butler
The haka is the traditional war dance of the Māori, the indigenous people of New Zealand. It was made famous by the All Blacks rugby team. Now is your chance to learn this well-known, enlivening and invigorating dance and experience the power of this cultural phenomenon.
We will learn the history and cultural significance of the haka as well as learn how to do the haka. Haka incorporates full-body movement, voice, facial expressions, self-expression, mind, breath, spirit, posture and action. It will connect you to your higher self and create unity with self and other. Haka activates your personal power and authentic self. Don’t miss this transformative and empowering workshop!
During the workshop you will:
-Learn about New Zealand and Māori culture
- Learn the meaning, history and cultural significance of the haka
- Engage in exercises that focus on specific elements of the haka such as stance, wiri (shaking of hands) and pukana (facial expression)
- Experience breath work
- Learn and perform the haka
- Discover your own self-expression and power through body movements, voice, posture and facial expressions
- Access your authentic self
- Connect to your personal power and discover your own inner-warrior
- Create unity with others through shared learning, movements and vocal expressions
About the Instructor:
Amelia Butler is an indigenous Māori performer, dancer and choreographer from New Zealand. She has been teaching and performing dance at an international level for over 20 years. Amelia moved to Los Angeles in 2008 to pursue a career in dance and has worked as a professional dancer in the LA entertainment industry. She founded and leads Los Angeles based traditional Māori performance group, Ngā Ānahera Māori, and teaches the Māori language via video chat through her company, Learn Māori Abroad. Amelia’s tribal affiliations are Ngātiwai, Ngāpuhi and Ngāti Awa. She is proud to share her culture here in the US.
Video links: Ka Mate Haka at Kiwis in LA Art Exhibition: https://youtu.be/8hiPmkYATVE
Haka Performace at Community Event, Los Angeles: https://youtu.be/dB6BdB9-43Q
Haka for Mauna Kea: https://youtu.be/IFzj1PGUbJo
Tutira Mai Nga Iwi & Haka with tamariki (children) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JpRda_GCSG4
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 938 0968 2026
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,93809682026# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,93809682026# US (Houston)