Up to Us Film Premiere
A series of short sex-ed films featuring screenplays by and for justice system-impacted youth, plus conversations with cast and writers.
Saturday, February 25, 2023
UCLA Glorya Kaufman Hall Theater
7–8:30 PM PT | Doors open at 6:30
Presented by the UCLA Art & Global Health Center and UCLA Prison Education Program, Up to Us is a series of three fictional 10-minute films.
Join us for our world premiere event at UCLA! Free and open to the public. Formal attire encouraged (but not required).
Get tickets here: https://artglobalhealth.org/u2u-rsvp
- Our films are centered around topics including 1) identity, 2) pregnancy and STIs, and 3) consent.
- We worked with nine justice-system impacted writing fellows to create the characters and narratives.
- Our goal is to provide entertaining, culturally relevant sexual health education in spaces where access to this information may not otherwise be readily available.
- Funded with support from the Office of Population of Affairs of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the films are made to be accompanied by workshops for youth impacted by the justice system.
- Between each of the three 10-minute films, writing fellows and actors will join us on stage for discussions about the writing and filming process.
- After the show, celebrate with us at our post-show reception featuring refreshments, music, and more.
- Pay-by-space parking is available in Parking Structure 4.
- Learn more about getting to UCLA by visiting UCLA Transportation's website: https://transportation.ucla.edu
Under the terms of the 2016 Healthy Youth Act, the State of California requires comprehensive sexual health education for all high schoolers. However, youth in Los Angeles County juvenile detention centers and in underserved communities are not guaranteed to have access to such vital information.
During the summer of 2022, we worked with screenwriter Francisco Aviles Pino with input from nine formerly incarcerated and justice system-impacted writing fellows. In fall, we filmed in Baldwin Park, California, and on campus at UCLA. Throughout winter and spring 2023, we are piloting our program with reentry spaces and community organizations. Films directed by Chloë de Carvalho. Produced by Cut & Cue.